This is the video of my October 2020 lecture at Fairfield University for the Wall Award. I discuss the local history of the Gold Coast of Connecticut as it intersects with race and zoning, which is one of the topics in my current book project, What Divides Us.
This is a similar talk, but much shorter (around 15 minutes), a summary of 400 years of land and housing exclusion, done in cooperation with Fairfield Yabantu and the Fairfield Museum:
Here’s a video of one version of a “Writing Pain” workshop I’ve done a few times; this is with the U.S. Pain Foundation.
- I talked with Sarah Fawn Montgomery for The Rumpus about Disability in Education (Fall 2022)
- I talked with Seema Reza of Community Building Art Works about “recess” projects–those weird side projects you play with when you don’t want to write your big project–and how many of them have turned into books for me.
- I had a great time talking with Brendan O’Meara on episode 156 of the Creative Nonfiction Podcast.
- Matt Tullis of Gangrey interviews me about writing The Evolution of Hillary Clinton, managing book-length works, journalism and creative nonfiction, and how each of my books has influenced the one that came after it. (October 11, 2016)
- Tamzin Mitchell from Barnstorm Literary Journal at University of New Hampshire interviewed me in December 2015 about voice, work, and research.
- Lady Literary Magazine, a new effort by one of my former students from Georgia Southern University, interviewed me in June 2014.
- Puerto del Sol interviews me in Sept. 2013 about healthcare and activism and substance abuse stuff.
- Fairfield University’s The Mirror did an interview with me in Sept. 2011, “Sitting Down with Prof. Sonya Huber.”
- Self Interview about Opa Nobody for “Next Big Thing”
- Interview on Literary Mama by Shannon Drury about healthcare and Cover Me, March 2011.
- A wonderful conversation with Mary Akers of r.kv.ry about recovery and writing, Spring 2011.
This terrified look is me being excited about something nonfiction-related during an interview with Doug Dangle on Writers Talk at the Ohio State University’s Center for the Study and Teaching of Writing in October, 2010The audio of this interview is also available.
A panel at River Teeth Nonfiction Conference in May 2014, “Going Long: The Challenges and Opportunities of Moving from the Essay to the Memoir” with myself, Jill Christman, and Steve Harvey.
Here’s me reading from Opa Nobody with poet Robert Wrigley during the River Styx reading series in 2013 (a serious honor. Thank you, Adrian Matejka and Richard Newman!)
An interview with Purple Cow (all-volunteer student radio at University of Georgia in Athens, GA) on Jan. 31, 2010. Radio Interview on Rachael Hanel’s “Weekly Reader” (KMSU-Mankato, MN), April 3, 2008
Other Audio “Trauma, Truth, and Trash: Public Critical Response to Memoir,” panel chaired and paper presented with Sue William Silverman, Mindy Lewis, and Karen Salyer McElmurray at Nov. 1-3, 2007 Bedell NonfictioNow Conference, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. (Link connects to audio recordings of panels)
Audio files of panels from the 2005 Nonfiction Now conference, including a panel on “Speaking the Truth for the Living and the Dead” with Sonya Huber, Lee Martin, Jeff Gundy and Mary Winstead.
Leave a Reply