Hello all! I’m very excited to launch Supremely Tiny Acts: A Memoir of a Day, which arrives in October 2021 from Mad Creek Books at the Ohio State University Press and is now available to pre-order!
While I will be doing some readings, I’d like to do most of the promotion of the book through small writing groups, which I’m calling “Day-Ins,” to fit the theme of the book-length essay.
From Ohio State University Press:
“On the theory that naming the truths of quotidian experience can counter the dangerous power of lies, she carefully recounts two anxiety-fueled days one fall. On the first, she is arrested as part of a climate protest in Times Square. On the other, she must make it to her court appearance while also finding time to take her son to get his learner’s permit. Paying equal attention to minor details, passing thoughts, and larger political concerns around activism and parenting in the Trump-era United States, Huber asks: How can one simultaneously be a good mother, a good worker, and a good citizen? As she reflects on the meaning of protest and on whiteness and other forms of privilege within political activism, Huber offers a wry, self-aware, and stirring testament to the everyday as a seedbed for meaningful change.”
In these “Day-Ins,” I’ll read a short bit and then lead people on zoom to write and share about what happened to them that very day, kind of a like an immediate show-and-tell, investigating what the day brings us, what immediate essaying can do, and letting people who attend get to connect a bit. If you have a bookstore, writing group, book group, activist group, or group of friends who’d like to sign up for a free version of something like that, please check out the schedule below.
If you see a gap and would like to schedule a group, let me know. And I’m also happy to plan out beyond October.
- June 2 @ 2 pm: a class with Creative Nonfiction: From Reflection to Connection: Putting Your Inner Monologue on the Page ($10)
- June 20 @ 8 pm: Fairfield U MFA On-Line Reading Series, public event (link coming soon!)
- Aug. 5, 1-2:30 pm: Westport Library virtual event: “Writing the Mundane” (Limited to 20 participants)
- Aug. 19: Private Event
- Sept. 19: Private Event
- Oct. 10, 2-4 pm: Lafayette Writers Studio: Delving Into The Days and Structuring the Memories
- Oct. 13: Westport Library evening *in-person* event (More to Come)
- Oct. 24, 2-3:30 pm: Market Street Writers, “Essaying Into the Every Day” class
Get The Book! Info for pre-ordering here
Check out the Playlist I Made for the book!